Tuesday 4 August 2009

On the Left!

I just took a political spectrum quiz on Facebook. Apparently, on a scale of left to right from -10 to +10, I am a moderate lefty at -4.7!

Stupid American scaling. I'd probably be virtually dead centre of the UK spectrum. It's just that the moderate right of America are so conservative compared to the moderate right of the UK it just shifts everything sideways... probably...

I'm still more likely to vote Conservative than Labour in the next general election anyway, even if I am a massive lefty. (Actually I'll almost certainly vote for the current Independent MP if he stands again as he lacks the sleaze and dishonour of most politicians.)

Actually this post was meant to be largely focused on something else...

I find it so annoying in the situation where I'm walking through an area with bodies/furniture/walls on both sides, someone's walking towards me, there's just enough room for us to pass without either of us breaking stride, but we're both approaching pretty centrally. What frustrates me is when that person then moves to their right as if to pass. But that's my right of way, surely?

This is the UK and we drive on the left and catch trains on the left platform. At middle school we were even told to walk on the left-hand side of the corridor! Why should people break with that unwritten rule as extended to everyday pedestrian dilemmas? We would then avoid the 5 second-long awkwardness where both people alternate sides until one person politely lets the other past.

Why, people, why?

Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment