Saturday 1 August 2009

On Alanis Morissette...

From time to time I feel the urge to buy on CD what tend to be described as "classic" albums. Previous urges have led me to buy such history-making albums as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Dark Side of the Moon, and Nevermind.

This time, I decided to buy Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette.

So I've been sitting here in the study, checking my e-mails and catching up on my blogging while listening to the album all the way through, as is a requisite to truly appreciate a "classic" album. Needless to say, it is angst-ridden brilliance! I probably can't add anything that people haven;t said about this album before but I think the track You Oughta Know stands out as one of my favourite moments. The bitterness in Morissette's singing really comes through. That, coupled with guest appearances from Flea and Dave Navarro from RHCP fame on bass and guitar respectively, probably make it one of the best [breakup] songs ever!

While listening to it I looked up her discography and was surprised to find out that when she was 16, she was a dance-pop sensation in Canada! Never saw that one coming...









No. I didn't see Matt LeBlanc coming either...

No comments:

Post a Comment