Wednesday 15 July 2009

On Blogging...

This seems like a good time to start a blog - one phase of my life over (pre-clinical medical school) another about to begin (clinical medical school). Before that, there is of course a summer vacation - a chance for relaxation, a chance to earn a few pennies, and a chance to try out new things - in keeping with the theme of change.

New experiences don't necessitate large-scale changes. Small changes that make life a little more interesting can be just as worthwhile. For example, yesterday I was doing my daily quizzes at www.sporcle.com which included a challenge to name the 10 most popular internet browsers. Intrigued by what had happened to Netscape over the years. Eventually this led me on to a fairly new browser Netscape had at point endorsed - Flock.

I was impressed by Flock's emphasis on the creating symbiosis between networking and browsing, so I downloaded it, for free, from their website. Apparently Flock is also designed with blogging in mind and listed a number of blogging sites with which Flock has inbuilt functionality. After a quick research session, I decided to try out Blogger and so here I am!

I'm not sure what I expect to get out of blogging. I'm not sure whether to try to get people to read what I have to write or not. I think inevitably there will be a handful of people who might check this blog from time to time, probably none of whom I don't know. At least it will give me a forum to post stuff that interests me whether it occurs in the "real" world or through trawling the internet, not that there isn't enough of that kind of thing already (and everybody thinks they can do it better than everybody else) but some people MAY find it interesting...

Also, until yesterday I thought Twitter was some kind of concise blogging tool. Apparently though it basically exists just to let other people know what you are doing - and I thought Facebook status updates had that sort of thing nailed, at least in the circles I move in! I guess the ease of access to celebrities makes all the difference these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment